Cabinetmaker Oliver Wight (1765-1837) was the second son of David and Catherine (Morse) Wight. He came as a boy to Sturbridge with his parents from Medway in 1774. He married Harmony Child c. 1786 and they had nine children. He had his Federal-style “mansion house” (now the Old Sturbridge Inn) built in 1789 by carpenter/architect Samuel Stetson.
Wight quickly found himself financially over-extended and was forced to sell his stately home. In 1815 it was sold to Ebenezer Howard, another cabinetmaker, who ran it as an inn for many years in the early 1800s. It was during this time that the murals in the hallway and stairs were painted by itinerant artist Rufus Porter (1792-1884.) The murals have recently been restored by an expert in Porter's work.
After Howard's death, the house returned to the Wight family when George Wight, Oliver’s great nephew, bought it in 1863. The house remained in the Wight family until 1937 when it was purchased by Old Sturbridge Village founder A.B. Wells. Since the 1930s Old Sturbridge Village has used it for staff offices, a store, and especially as lodging for guests. Today it is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Due to the historic nature of the Inn it is not appropriate for children under 12 years of age.