See the largest military re-enactment in New England with nearly 1,000 soldiers portraying British, Irish, Spanish, Scottish, French and Colonial troops. The Village is transformed into a military camp from the time of the War for Independence, as it was known in early New England. Come see what it was really like for those who fought to win America's freedoms.
Daytime events on both days include activities such as:
- Mock battles and skirmishes
- Tours of the British and American camps
- "School of the Soldier" training demonstrations
- 18th-century Fashions in the Press featuring military and civilian clothing
- Cannon demonstrations
- Musket drilling with kids
- Martial music
- Help with camp laundry
- Learn scouting techniques during "Reconnoiter with a Ranger"
- Drilling and inspection of the troops
- Visit the battlefield hospital - see small pox inoculations and treatment of the wounded after the battles
- See the daily life of a Revolutionary War soldier - including delivery of uniforms, pay calls, and prisoner exchanges
- Play 18th-century baseball
- Attend a "Service for the Troops"
- Learn 18th-century dances
- Explore interactive miniature war gaming
Please note that this year, the Twilight Encampment happening after normal hours of operation on Saturday evening is open exclusively to VIP Ticket Holders (see sidebar) and Old Sturbridge Village Members. The Village will be closed from 5:00 to 6:00.
Purchase your tickets online in advance to expedite your entrance into the Village.
Find more useful information for planning your visit.
Food and beverages will be available for sale in the Village Cafe and Bullard Tavern Cafeteria. Grilled items and ice cream, as well as wine and beer will also be sold in the Village. Visitors may bring in their own food, but no outside alcohol is allowed.