Saturday, September 3, 2022
Times: 9:30 AM – 5 PM
Cost: Included with standard daytime admission or Village membership. Standard daytime admission is $28 for adults, $26 for seniors (55+), and free for children 3 and under. Up to 3 kids age 4-17 are admitted for FREE per adult paying full price ($28).Get Tickets
To supplement the meager armed forces, most early 19th-century farmers and craftsmen were required by law to serve in local militia units – the forerunner of today’s National Guard. Fall militia musters often saw the various militia companies of several towns coming together for a regimental muster. These would have been grand spectacles with townspeople coming out to view visiting militia companies in their dashing uniforms. Come and join us for our fall muster day and cheer on your favorite militia company!
- Talk to members of two uniformed volunteer militia companies.
- Listen to early 19th-century martial music.
- Watch musket and cannon firing demonstrations
- See a “Sham Fight” as rival militia companies square off against each other in the field.
- Our young visitors will get the chance to learn early 19th-century drill and marching with the militia officer’s instruction and a toy gun.
- See the “striped pig” and learn how it was used to skirt the early 19th-century liquor laws.
- Join a group of ladies for “Ardent Spirits” as they discuss their concerns about temperance, how alcohol affects them and their families, and if starting a Ladies Temperance Society in Sturbridge is a good idea.
It’s Kids Free Summer at the Village! Up to three kids 17 and younger are admitted FREE when accompanied by an adult paying full admission ($28) now through the end of Labor Day (September 5, 2022).
Click here to purchase tickets
Muster day is sponsored by: