Hop into History is an overnight experience designed for scouts, schools and other youth groups of up to 80 participants. With only a map and a tattered journal at their side, young historians will travel back in time and take part in a mysterious, candlelit adventure through the 1830s. The quest will exercise their detective skills as they hunt for clues, conduct experiments, and investigate the past. Back at our hands-on learning laboratory, we will experiment with historic crafts to learn more about 19th-century life.
Included in the overnight fee:
- Two-day admission to Old Sturbridge Village
- An evening snack and catered hot breakfast
- Evening activities including interactive tours of the Village, hearth cooking, and a craft.
- A special OSV patch
See a sample schedule in the Frequently Asked Questions below.
- Available for youth ages 6 and up.
- Minimum of 36 participants and maximum of 80 each overnight evening. If your group has LESS than 80 participants, other groups may be added to the overnight until the 80 participant cap is met.
- One adult required for every five children; one-to-one ratio for children ages 7 and under.
- See available dates on this page.
- Overnight programs will begin at 5:30 pm on your chosen date. The program concludes at 9:30 am the following morning when the museum opens to the public.
- $65 per person youth/adults
- Program fee includes all overnight activities, an evening snack, a catered hot breakfast and two-day museum admission.
- Evening activities include a candlelit adventure into Old Sturbridge Village, hearth cooking, and a historical craft.
- Participants are responsible for bringing their own bedding and sleep in our unique Museum Education Building. Outdoor camping is also available; please contact us for more information.
- A limited number of cots are available on a first come, first served basis
- Hop into History Overnight may fulfill certain badge requirements for Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. Click here for the list.
- See a full list of FAQ below.
Fall 2018 – Spring 2019 Overnights Schedule
Saturday, September 15
Saturday, September 22
October 2018 :
Saturday, November 10
Saturday, November 17 (GIRLS)
Saturday, November 24
December 2018: Christmas by Candlelight overnights
Saturday, December 1 (BOYS)
Saturday, December 8(GIRLS)
Saturday, January 12
Saturday, January 19*
Saturday, January 26* (GIRLS)
Saturday, February 2* (BOYS – FULL)
Saturday, February 9* (GIRLS)
Saturday, February 23
Saturday, March 2
Saturday, March 9 (GIRLS—Girl Scout Birthday overnight)
Saturday, March 16
Saturday, March 23
Saturday, March 30
*Daytime admission to OSV may be impacted by special winter programming
Friday and weekday evenings are also available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a date.
For questions regarding the Village’s Hop Into History Overnights, download our Overnight Guide below or e-mail us at email@example.com.
Learn More & Register:
Thinking about registering for an overnight? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions below.
Ready to reserve your date? Please follow these steps.
- Fill out the Overnight Request Form on this page. Please note: this does not automatically reserve your date.
- Our staff will be in touch with you promptly to confirm your date.
- Once your date is confirmed by our staff, please submit the deposit and registration form for your group. The deposit can be submitted over the phone or by check. The deposit is 50% of your total cost. Space will not be “held” for groups without a deposit or registration form. Please note that space at Village overnights is limited and filled on a first come, first served basis.
- Two weeks prior to the overnight date, submit your roster and the remainder of your payment.
- Join us for an exciting overnight experience!
More useful information regarding your experience can be found in our FAQ Guide below and our Hop Into History Guide.
Other dates may be available! For questions about dates or other matters regarding the Village’s Hop into History Overnights, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fill Out the Form Below to Check Your Overnight Date
Please note: filling out this form does not guarantee your overnight date. After submitting this form, our staff will get back to you on the date and send you a copy of the registration form. Space will not be “held” for groups without a deposit or registration form.
Hop Into History Overnights Frequently Asked Questions
How do we register for the Hop into History Overnight program?
To reserve your spot, please follow these steps.
- Fill out the Overnight Request Form above. Please note: this does not automatically reserve your date.
- Our staff will be in touch with you promptly to confirm your date.
- Once your date is confirmed by our staff, please submit the deposit and registration form for your group. This can be done over the phone or by check. The deposit is 50% of your total cost. Space will not be “held” for groups without a deposit. Please note that space at Village overnights is limited and filled on a first come, first served basis.
- Two weeks prior to the overnight date, submit your roster (link) and the remainder of your payment. We require a minimum of 36 people in order to hold an overnight. If this minimum is not met, the overnight may be rescheduled.
Your final payment and participant roster (with emergency contact information) must be submitted to us two weeks prior to your program. We require that you utilize the roster included in our overnight guide.
How many chaperones do we have to bring for our overnight?
One adult is required for every five children. There is a one-to-one ratio for children under the age
What if our group does not meet the 36 person minimum?
Smaller groups are welcome to sign up for available overnight dates. If you are a scout group, friends and siblings are also welcome to attend. However, a date that does not meet the minimum may be rescheduled. Small groups may be encouraged to join an overnight with available slots remaining.
Where do we send our completed registration forms?
Please mail your completed forms to: Old Sturbridge Village, Attn: Overnight Program, 1 Old Sturbridge Village Road, Sturbridge, MA 01566. You may also fax the forms to: 508-347-0295 or email them to email@example.com.
What time (and where) does the program start and conclude?
Check in for the Hop into History Overnight program begins at 5:30 p.m. The program concludes at 9:30 a.m. the following day at our Museum Education building located on Old Sturbridge Village Road in Sturbridge, MA. Your program fee includes 2-days admission into the Village, so you may visit the Village the day of (and after!) the program. The Village opens at 9:30 am and closes at 4:00 pm from February 17 to May 25. OSV is closed days during December and is only open for special programming on weekends in late January and early February.
What does the overnight fee include? What does the program schedule look like?
The overnight fee includes two days admission into Old Sturbridge Village (the day of and after your overnight), an evening snack, all overnight program activities and a catered hot breakfast. All participants receive a special OSV patch!
Here is a sample schedule for our overnights:
5:30 pm: Arrival and check in
6:00: Brief group introduction in Lunch Room; divide into groups for evening activities
6:15–9:15: Evening activities: Interactive tours of the Village; hearth cooking and craft
9:15: Snack and overview of building rules and emergency procedures
9:30–10:30: Get ready for bed and free time
10:30: Lights out!
7:00 am: Lights on!
7:30: Head to breakfast at Bullard Tavern
8:20–8:45: Morning storytelling performance
9:00: Fill out evaluations and get patches and stickers; pack up belongings
9:30: Museum opens to guests!
If we want to enter Old Sturbridge Village prior to (or after) our overnight, how do we do that?
The group leader is responsible for providing a participant roster to our staff as part of the registration process. This list will be provided to the Visitor Center (located at the Main Entrance). For those participants choosing to enter OSV on the day of/after the program, please check-in with our Visitor Center staff. They will need your group name as well as your individual name. Your program fee includes 2-day admission into the Village (the day of your overnight and the day after).
What are sleeping arrangements at the Museum Education Building like?
Sleeping areas are located within our unique Museum Education building. All areas have wood floors or industrial carpet. You will be placed in a sleeping area with some or all of your group, depending on your group’s size. With mixed-gender groups, children (and adults) may be separated by gender. Please let us know prior to the overnight if any of your participants have any special needs or require special accommodation.
What type of food is served during the overnight program?
The overnight does not include dinner. We do, however, offer an evening snack and a catered hot breakfast the following morning. Breakfast may consist of the following items: bagels, yogurt, assorted cereals, waffles, oatmeal, fruit, juice, and coffee. The Museum Education building is not an allergen-free building. Participants with food allergies are encouraged to bring their own snacks.
May we bring our own food and beverages to the overnight/into the Museum?
Outside food and beverage is allowed in the Village, with the exception of alcoholic beverages. Outside food and beverage items must be consumed in designated eating areas. The Museum Education lunchroom may be used for your dinner prior to your overnight if you have made prior arrangements with us by calling 508-347-0287. There are several locations in the Sturbridge area for dining. Please visit www.sturbridgetownships.org for more information on dining options in the
Can our group camp outside?
Yes! There is space outside the Museum Education building for camping, as well as a fire pit. Arrangements for camping outside must be made in advance. Please contact us for details about camping overnights.
What if someone in our group cancels?
Your reservations are non-refundable. Groups reducing their size after their registration date must find replacements for those participants who cancel or cover their cost.
What if we need to increase our numbers after registering?
Sleeping space in the Museum Education Building is very limited. Please call (508) 347-0287 to inquire about increasing your numbers. OSV staff must be made aware of changes in your group’s numbers at least two weeks prior to your overnight date.
What time does the Village and shops open in the morning?
Old Sturbridge Village opens at 9:30 am. The Museum Gift Shop and New England Bookstore open at 10:00 am.