Give your child a chance to step back in time and experience life in the 1830s at Old Sturbridge Village. Every session offers kids the opportunity to explore an aspect of 19th-century history and daily life--from animal care and farming, to dirty jobs and hearth cooking.
All programs include an afternoon snack, hands-on crafts, and the chance to learn something new while making lasting friends and memories.
Why was livestock so important to New Englanders in the early 19th century? Find out by exploring the life of a different farm animal every day of the week. We will meet the sheep, cows, chickens, pigs, and horses that live in the Village, learn how to tell a good egg from a bad egg, and the reason that blacksmiths are so important to keeping horses healthy.
- Meet the animals at Freeman farm and help with farm chores
- Dye wool, sew an 1830s penny rug and decorate your own wooden toys
- Participate in a puppet show at the end of the week
History at Play
Life in the 1830s was a lot of hard work, but kids still had time to play! Learn about the toys and games that kept children entertained in the past. Try your hand at traditional schoolyard games and make some of your own games to take home.
- Make 19th-century games like graces, a Jacob’s ladder, and an elements ball
- Help tend to the Village’s gardens
- Let your imagination soar as you pretend to be a citizen of Sturbridge in the 1830s
Have you ever tried something you read about in a book? Let’s explore the 1830s through stories! Each day we will use stories to time travel back to life in the 19th century. Then, kids will participate in crafts, hands-on activities, and adventures relating to the day’s tale.
- Read an exciting picture book each day
- Meet farm animals
- Make your own pair of candles
- Write your own tale to share at the end of the week
- Learn a 19th-century dance
Per Person $325; OSV Members $300 (unless otherwise mentioned)
Add-On Options Available - (Box lunches, Extended Day Care)
Old Sturbridge Village Lodges Discount Package
Package includes a discounted room and continental breakfast at the Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges. Call 508-347-0206 for more information and mention that you are an Old Sturbridge Village Adventures Family to receive the package rate.
Contact us at 508-347-0285 or email@example.com