Dummerston, Vermont, c. 1810.
Additions built c. 1826 & 1838-39.
Moved to OSV, 1973
Located near the Center Meetinghouse, the Asa Knight store represents a crucial link between the farming community and the world at large. The store, originally built as a modest one-story building, had by 1838 grown into an imposing two-and-a-half-story emporium that stocked an expanding variety of products. Customers paid for their purchases with credit earned by selling such items as butter, cheese, palm leaf hats, and knitted socks. The storekeeper in turn sold them in the cities where he bought the goods to stock his shelves.