If you wish to make what is called 'Bird's-nest puddings,' prepare your custard,--take eight or ten pleasant apples, pare them and dig out the core, but leave them whole, set them in a pudding dish, pour your custard over them, and bake them about twenty or thirty minutes.
The American Frugal Housewife, Lydia Maria Child, 1833
2 cups of milk
½ cup of brown sugar
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350⁰F
2. Grease a deep casserole dish (round or rectangular- 9 by 9 inches square or a 9 inch deep pie plate, or a 9 inch Bundt pan)
3. Peel and core apples and leave whole, to fit snugly in the baking dish.
4. Make the custard by beating the milk, eggs, brown sugar, and cinnamon together well.
5. Pour the custard over the apples in the dish.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the custard is set.
Eat hot or cold.