|Description:||Adapted from The Ladies' New Book of Cookery: Practical System for Private Families in Town and Country by Sarah Josepha Hale. New York: H.Long & Brothers, 1852.|
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light.
2. Beat eggs, add wine. Combine with butter and sugar mixture.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda, and spices.
4. Add one-third of the flour mixture and half of the cream, then add one-third of the flour mixture and the remaining cream, and then add the remaining flour mixture, blending well after each addition.
5. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans, pour in the batter, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or use a tube pan and bake for 70 minutes.
1. Follow steps 1-4 in Modern Method recipe.
2. Pour batter in two 9-inch pottery pie plates or two round, straight-sided oven proof dishes of 8-9 inches in diameter. Bake for 1 1/4 hours in a moderate bake oven.
Yield: two 8-inch or 9-inch layers or one tube cake.
|Credit To:||Taken from Old Sturbridge Village Cookbook|